Monday, June 15, 2009

Breakfastpop Returns

Good morning! Today is Monday, June 15, 2009 and I have returned from two weeks in the caribbean not quite as relaxed as I had hoped. I'm preparing a bacon, cheddar and pea frittata this morning because the number of ingredients mirrors the number of things on my mind.  If you wish to cook along, you will need 6 eggs, 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 4 slices of bacon, 1 cup peas and 2 ounces of  shredded cheddar cheese.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with milk and pepper and set aside.  In a skillet,  cook bacon and stir in peas and cook for one minute more. Pour frittata mixture over filling and sprinkle with cheese until eggs set. Place pan in oven and bake for 10 minutes.

The saying" you can run, but you can't hide" is certainly apropos of my trip to the islands.  It seems that what happens in America doesn't stay in America because everyone from the waiter to the bartender was tuned into the United States  and very up on all the news.  So try as I did, I still heard about things that ranged from the ridiculous to the even more ridiculous.

One day over pina coladas everyone was buzzing about the Obama's date night.  Personally, I think a date night is a great idea for every couple including the President and his wife.  Where it went wrong is that it took place in Manhattan and not in Washington D.C.  Once again, good idea..wrong execution. Did it not occur to anyone in the White House that it would have been more prudent to patronize a restaurant in  D.C. and see a show in town?

During my vacation, Washington named a new"czar.".  I believe he is the "pay czar" and he joins a very crowded field of 20 other appointed "czars" .  When did  we start having "czars" in the United States?  It feels like we are emulating the former Soviet Union and I don't know about you, but it makes me very uncomfortable. We are putting way too much power in the hands of people who we didn't elect and that is a very, very bad idea.

Reverend Wright has reared his ugly head in the news again.  It seems that he has decided that the Jews are keeping him away from his protege Obama.  Obama is keeping his distance from Wright, but he has yet to give a good explanation of his association with the man for over twenty years.  

Nancy Pelosi popped into the news again, in my absence ,with her insistence that the Gitmo pictures be released despite strong opposition from the President, the generals  and people in her own party, not to mention those who are not in her party.  Exactly what tune is she marching to?

And then there are the detainees themselves, who are being released to islands a lot like the one I vacationed on.  Next time you happen to be in Bermuda,  your friendly bartender may be an Al Queda terrorist.  I would insist on mixing my own drinks if I were you!

How about the government"s little publicized decision to offer Miranda rights to terrorists.  We will be telling these killers that they have the right to remain silent. Does it get more outrageous than this?

Clearly, the blush is off the rose, or should I say the frittata. I will end my re-cap of the news with the always entertaining group, PETA, who are opposed to the way people in fish markets throw around dead fish from stand to stand.  They believe this treatment is cruel and disrespectful.  Uh, hello, PETA.. the key word here is "dead". And by the way, they are dead because we eat them!

...POP...The moral of this story is , one way or another the news is "gonna get you."






6 comments:

  1. There is too much to contemplate. After all of the stories you mention, Obummer's date night seems to be the least of our worries. however, as far as throwing dead fish around, maybe the fish mongers should toss Pelosi around. She likes to fly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..Great comment, wish I thought of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. POP:
    Didn't know you drank Pina Coladas!
    Loved your comment about PETA! Have they lost their minds?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't actually drink pina coladas anymore. I just imagine that I am drinking them. They taste delicious, but there are no calories involved.
    The ever entertaining group PETA don't actually have minds, which makes all their antics so amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No matter what the drink of choice was, it sounds like the buzz wore off. Pop, back to reality. Missed your blog....

    ReplyDelete
  6. The buzz definitely wore off! Bartender!

    ReplyDelete