Thursday, May 28, 2009

Bailouts, Billions, Bombs and a Pina Colada

Good morning! Today is Thursday, May 29, 2009. I don't feel like preparing breakfast this a.m. so I will be eating last night's dinner instead. Sometimes, it's good to mix things up and step out of the box a bit. Today's "breakfast" will be a pork tenderloin sauteed with mushrooms and finely minced veggies. Roasted garlic and pine nuts sprinkled over the dish gives it a delectable flavor, so I'm good to go and ready to dig in.

I woke up this morning with my head spinning from news overload, or should I say bad news overload. N.Korea is threatening to attack U.S. and S.Korea warships; we have pledged to defend S.Korea to the bitter end; Iran is cooking up nuclear disaster; President Obama is printing money in the basement of the White House; Joe Biden is, well, Joe Biden; the government is now running the private sector; free choice for medical care is going the way of the dinosaur; we will all have to drive the kind of car Washington tells us to drive; we will all be taught to embrace our enemies and sacrifice our lives for the greater good; our children and our children's children will be burdened with unimaginable debt and last, but not least, we will all be required to paint our roofs white!

...POP...Someone, please tell me that this has all been a diabolical joke to get my attention.

All I hear is the deafening roar of silence, so I guess I am not dreaming and that life in the United States is changing in unbelievable ways that are probably going to be very hard to accept. I can only conclude that it is time for me to re-group, refresh, kick back, lighten up, find my inner peace and my sense of humor and drink as many pina coladas as I can over a two week period.

Breakfastpop will be floating in the Caribbean without access to television, newspapers and radio for two luscious sun kissed weeks. I suggest that everyone out there try to do the same or a reasonable facsimile to bring the blush back to our cheeks and the spring back to our step.

When I return and we meet again, I hope our nation won't have changed so much that I don't know where I am. I'm tired of change, really sick of the word and the concept. Right now, I crave the familiar feeling of a mindless summer idyll. That's the kind of change I can live with.

Bye-Bye! See you soon...

7 comments:

  1. People wanted change, and they're getting it. I didn't want it, so maybe I should drop out. I put a new roof on my house a couple of years ago. If Obummer wants it white, he better come over and paint it. BARTENDER!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. taxlarry,

    My recommendation is this: Pack a bag, head for the airport and relax in the sun drenched caribbean sun. Breakfastpop"s orders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with taxlarry...btw, POP, I forwarded your blog address to my brother in Tennessee and he liked your blog so much, he forwarded it on to a lot of his friends...just thought you'd like to know that your thoughts are appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you guys are having a great time and NOT watching the news at all.
    I have to say, I miss your daily blogs:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear theresem1010,

    Thanks so much for your kind and encouraging words. I really, really appreciate your support.

    ReplyDelete
  6. jeschulkes,
    I'm back and so is my blog. Your comment is very funny in light of wrote I wrote today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just saw what I wrote here and it makes no sense at all! Of course I meant to say "your comment is very funny in light of "what" I wrote today.. I realize that you knew that but I am feeling very compulsive and anal today!

    ReplyDelete