Tuesday, March 24, 2009

breakfastpop

It's Wednesday, March 25 and I have just created a delicious breakfast of eggs benedict. I used whole grain bread and Canadian bacon so I believe it may actually be good for me. As I bring the fork to my lips, my eyes drift to the front page of today's paper and POP another good meal down the drain!


On April 21st of this year, the Supreme Court will hear a case that will force the justices to decide just how much leeway school officials should have in policing zero tolerance policies for drugs and violence. Their ruling will provide important guidance to schools all over the country.

The case before the court concerns a terrible incident that happened six years ago in a middle school in Arizona. Savana Redding was thirteen years old when she was strip-searched at her school by a nurse and a school secretary. They suspected her of having in her possession prescription strength ibuprofen pills. The suspicion stemmed from an accusation by another student who was found with the pills. The student blamed Ms. Redding for providing her with the drugs. The assistant principal of the school ordered the school employees to search both students. The searches did not turn up any additional pills.


Ms. Redding said she was never asked if she had any pills before she was searched. In point of fact, this young girl was completely inncocent. Her record at school , had anybody bothered to look, revealed an excellent student who had no history of problems. Her ordeal was so terrifying and humiliating that she could not return to school for months. In the end she transferred to another school.


Her story is one we should all care about and pay attention to. The Supreme Court's ruling in April could impact everyone of us who have children or grandchildren in school. When we send our children off to school in the morning, we expect that they will be in class getting an education. If we knew that it was possible they could be subjected to a strip-search, would we send them off to school at all? I know I wouldn't.



7 comments:

  1. POP, once again, you are right on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks taxlarry...It's nice to know we are on the same page!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear POP
    Had to get breakfast on the run this morning... i am happy to report that enjoyment and satisfaction was derived from a Dunkin Donuts Flat Bread Egg White/Veggie sandwich. At only 399 calories, it was quite tasty and filling....
    THIS case is frightening to me especially when I recall all the times in 8th grade when I was toting a lot of anaprox in my lesportsac during "that time of the month"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Janie,

    At least you were able to have an enjoyable breakfast before having your appetite ruined by the facts of this appalling case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear POP:
    I've been reading your blog, and it's time for me to comment. You are absolutely correct in your assessments.
    One question: Why do your blogs show that you are writing on Wednesday, for example, but the blog shows the date as the day before? Do you get the newspaper a day earlier than the rest of us?
    Oh, and by the way, I have the same, boring, protein drink for breakfast every day. Made with fat free milk. I salivate when I read what you are eating for breakfast. Maybe you can fly to Naples to make my breakfast!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Christine,

    First of all welcome to my blog. I'm thrilled you figured out how to log on. The dates are a bit screwy because if I decide to make a draft of something I will post the next day, the program prints the date of the draft. I decided to keep ahead of myself by one day just in case I can't blog for some reason. Now I have a question for you. What's up with the protein drink?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a blogger, it's official. I just got home and had to see what you talked about today...
    As for this crazy story, I am speechless and that doesn't happen often...My crazy husband said that he sees nothing wrong with it. In fact he would have enjoyed when he was in school if the teacher was hot. lol

    ReplyDelete