Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Charge That Brie!

Good great morning everyone!  Today is Thursday, May 21, 2009 and I am preparing an Apple and Brie Omelette for breakfast.  If you wish to follow along with the recipe you will need 2 large golden apples, 4 ounces of Brie cheese, 8 eggs, 2 green onions, 2 tablespoons butter, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 dash of vanilla extract and three other people who are hungry.   Place the apple slices in a microwave dish and top with 1/2 half of the butter. Microwave for 3 minutes.  Now, in a medium bowl,  beat the eggs with the vanilla and salt.


Melt butter in a skillet and pour half of the egg mixture into the skillet.  Cover and cook until set. Place the egg on a cookie sheet and place the apple wedges on top.  Sprinkle with onion and place cheese on top.   Place in preheated oven.  Now we are ready to remove the bottom of the omelette and slide it on to a serving  platter.  Cook the remaining mixture in the skillet.  Place egg layer from the skillet on top of the bottom of the omelette from the oven.  Garnish with nutmeg and serve.

Wow, a lot to do for breakfast, but probably well worth it.

The ingredients may cost quite a bit.  Personally, I put the stuff on my Amex card because the Brie can be very expensive.  

But wait, the morning newspaper catches my eye and I am incredulous. Congress has re-vamped the credit card industry,  in about three minutes,  and the end result will be that those that manage their credit well will subsidize those that have problems.  I was horrified to learn that those people who pay off their credit cards are known as "deadbeats" in the industry. 

Personally, I fall into that category of people.  I pay my balance at the end of the month and that's it. Under the new rules, it's possible that some of the programs like mileage awards may go the way of the dinosaur.  I already pay 150 dollars a year to use my Amex, which strictly speaking is not a credit card, but rather a charge card.  My balance must be paid off at the end of the month and that is just fine with me.  However, if my fees rise dramatically on my Amex or my more traditional credit card because I don't carry a balance , then I  have a new course of action that won't need Congressional approval. I will take my cards, deadbeat that I am, and while eating my breakfast will feed the cards into the shredder.  

I don't dispute the fact that credit card companies are in the business of making money.  It's a very lucrative industry that employs thousands of people. I also have no problem tweaking some of their practices to make them treat customers more fairly.  That said, I do take issue with the notion that because I live my life responsibly,  I am considered a "deadbeat".

Annoy me enough, and cash will be king.

By the way, we should all rest comfortably knowing that attached to the bill that the President will sign into law is a completely unrelated measure by Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., that would allow people to bring loaded guns into national parks and wildlife refuges.  

...POP... Not only will I not pay higher fees for good behavior, but now I have to cancel my trip to Yosemite!  


4 comments:

  1. Well, it is just amazing that the irresposible people have the government working for them. They will get better treatment from their credit card companies, even though they overspent and can't pay back. The government will allow them to renegotiate mortgages they should not have and for those that walked away from their house, they will not be taxed on the debt they don't have to pay. The more responsible people have the government working against them. Higher credit card fees, less programs, etc. By the way, for those that think responsible people get a free ride from credit card companies because of such things like mileage programs, you should know that you only get the mileage when you pay the balance. Another example of the death of common sense. And, another example that if you play by the rules, you lose! BARTENDER.. do you take credit cards?

    ReplyDelete
  2. taxlarry,

    Good news, bartenders do take credit cards, but it won't be long before they surcharge your card and your JD. Drink up while you can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can add me to the list of "deadbeats". Why do I pay off my credit card each month? I don't like going out with a lot of cash. I never know what I'm going to purchase, so the credit card works for me. Oh, and I dispise paying interest on my purchases. Instead of being proud, I now feel ashamed for being what I thought was a fiscally responsible person.
    Now I see that this bill might include a provision for the credit card company to charge interest from the date you made the purchase. It will be cash for me, as well!
    Now for my breakfast - Kashi Go Lean cereal with ice cold skim milk - yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristine,

    I guess we are in the same "deadbeat" boat. I don't mind at all, you
    are great company! Your breakfast is a lot easier than mine.

    ReplyDelete