Thursday, April 9, 2009

breakfastpop

Good morning, today is Thursday, April 9, 2009 and I am preparing the breakfast of my youth. It's called "an egg with a hole in the middle", a name that made no sense when I was ten and still doesn't make any sense now. All I need is a piece of bread whose middle has been removed. I am going to place the bread in a frying pan with butter and plop an egg in the hole.

Some things whether they be recipes, memories, practices or ideas have a life that never dies. Pirates fall into this category, an occupation that after all these years is still in full swing. Of course these aren't the pirates of the Peter Pan story. These pirates wear military garb and carry around automatic weapons. Their victims are only armed with good intentions and a water hose. Unlike a good story, these pirates are sneaky and ruthless and unbelievaby successful at pirating. To them it's a very lucrative business and they aren't wrong to believe that. They always get away with their crimes and their victims always pay the ransom. Right now, as I begin to eat my breakfast I am watching a hostage situation unfold on the high seas. This time the ship's crew are American and the world is watching a standoff at sea between a U.S. warship that has arrived on the scene and three pathetic pirates who are holding the captain prisioner.

If I may be permitted to write the ending of this story it would once again bring me back to my childhood. In my story the good guys win, the ransom is never paid, the crew and captain are safe and the pirates get to walk the plank. ...POP.. I think I'll eat the breakfast of my chiildhood now and hope for a fairy tale ending to this crisis. Aaargh!!! I've worked up an appetite.

6 comments:

  1. So, what is Obummer doing while there is action on the high seas? He is bowing to a Saudi prince!!!! I guess he is trying to find his Muslim roots. Hey, Obummer...if you want to bow to royalty, bow to the Queen of England, not a sand flea who has his laundry on his head!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tax Larry,

    What did you eat for breakfast...sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing taxlarry is sneaking JD in the cornflakes again... POP, my recommendation remains unchanged... block him.

    Every time I see the news about this story, I can't help but hear "Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum" rattling around in my head; and feeling puttin' on my eye patch for old time's sake.

    In all seriousness, I do hope that this matter ends with the captain being rescued and safe, and that the waters off the coast of Somalia are made safe once again. Maybe we can throw some stimulus at the problem?

    Vita muffin and coffee today

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Janie,

    I'm taking your recommendation that I block tax larry under advisement, bit I have to admit he's beginning to grow on me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey TaxLarry, I just saw a photo of Nobama bowing to Prince Abdullah on TV news as his press secretary claimed that it was just a double handed handshake!!All of the other Arabs were looking down at him with very weird expressions on their faces. And you are so right, he didn't bow when he met Queen Elizabeth, nor did he kiss, is it Claudia?, Sarkozy on both cheeks. Does he have any "Savoir Faire"?

    And POP, What we need on the seas off of Somalia is either Dirty Harry or 007!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Anita,

    Right on..bring in Hollywood and some navy seals to deal with three stupid terrorist pirates and get the job done!

    ReplyDelete