Monday, April 20, 2009

breakfastpop

I'm having an Apricot Smoothie for breakfast today,  Monday, April 20, 2009.  I need 1 cup of canned apricot halves in light syrup, six ice cubes and  one cup of  vanilla yogurt.  All I have to do is place everything in a blender and pulse until smooth.  

It's the perfect choice for breakfast today because it's smooth and easy to swallow.  I wish I could say the same for the news.  I read in the paper this weekend that the Obama administration is going to release top-secret memos that provide explicit details of U.S. interrogation techniques. Has the White House forgotten the meaning of the phrase "top-secret"?   Information like this is classified secret for a reason, because according to people who know,  letting our enemies know our methods seriously endangers our safety.  What is the rationale behind such a move?  If President Obama is trying to make "nice" to our enemies he is putting our nation at risk.   

I'm not an expert on national security by any means, but I do know how to take advice.  When five former heads of the CIA declare the release of these memos a danger to our security, I believe them.   When they further state that the techniques they employ yield useful information , I feel safer.  

Don't be surprised if the identity of our operatives in other countries are revealed in the name of transparency.  Whatever the ACLU wants, the ACLU gets!

My smoothie is delicious, but a little apricot brandy mixed in could be just what the doctor ordered.  Now that we don't have any secrets to guard, I'm feeling exposed and on edge.   What's next ..a guided tour of the Pentagon for the Guantanamo detainees with refreshments to follow?

They might consider serving my smoothie, but I won't reveal the recipe.  It's classified information! 

4 comments:

  1. As Obummer makes us more vulnerable to attack and terrorism, socializes our banks and health care and increases tax on the non-wealthy wealthy, I hope the morons who put him in office are happy! I'm not! I hope his dog pees on his leg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taxlarry,

    As I wrote today's blog, I knew this would be just the thing to fire your jets. I like the phrase you coined the "non-wealthy wealthy". Miind if I use it one day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. POP, very clever post this morning. I must admit, that while I have been eating like a horse lately, I have been on a news fast due to bad news overload. I do that sometimes, a cleansing, if you will, from all the news, which is for the most part all bad. If what you write about is true, then we will be the only nation on the planet without state secrets... There is some level of secrecy and opaque-ness I feel I can accept from my government when it comes to matters of national security. I don't need to know precisely how the CIA or the FBI thwarted a terrorist attack against our interests or on our soils, I just am happy to know that they did... and if some human rights violations occur against the world be terrorists... i can't actually say I would mind... But I don't feel the need to know the gory details. And anyway, when I think of the concept of transparency, certainly declassifying top secret information does not come to mind...rather, transparency to me means a president and his adminstration who are candid, forthright with the people of this nation, who put the interests and the well being of the citizens of this nation first, and who communicates to us often about how they will execute those plans... Vita muffin and skim latte which leaked all over the console of my car... Taxlarry would probably blame Obummer for the leak in my coffee cup

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Merril, ever try apricot brandy? In Kentucky? Baked in a crescent roll?

    ReplyDelete